Friday, August 27, 2010

Kinetic Typography

Kinetic: Moving
Typography: Font
Kinetic Typography: Moving Font

This is a type of moving font that I am really intrigued by. Though I haven't seen it used in many advertisements, I think it should be. The marquee-style font really catches one's attention and leaves the view literally hanging on to each word. Also, the words can be used in so many various ways (as evidenced in my links)


I find it to be creative and edgy. I think it would work well on television and web ads but a different approach would have to be taken for the print ads in a campaign.


I think it would work best for political ads, since a lot of text could be used and it doesn't seem overwhelming.

The only downside to this type of ad would be that if the viewer misses the beginning of the ad, it may be hard to catch on to whats going on. I think this problem could be counteracted by creative and simple ad writing, though.

Below is a link to an example of kinetic typography pertaining to the movie Dumb and Dumber, also a video called "I Pledge," which was played at the Obama inauguration. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YX6VeESsbmk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51kAw4OTlA0&feature=related

1 comment:

  1. This is an interesting post. I like the transitions between your paragraphs. The details are supportive and phenomenal. The "I Pledge" video is an interesting video. Remembered it from Editorial Writing class.

    ReplyDelete