Friday, September 3, 2010

10 Rules For Effective Ads


I found these rules for more effective advertising posted by the American Research Group on their Web site. I thought this list was both simple and effective, as it touched on some good points.
The link to the list is here: 10 Rules List

A couple of my favorites were:

1. Does the ad tell a simple story, not just convey information?
- A good story does not interpret or explain the action in the story for the audience. Instead, a good story allows each member of the audience to interpret the story as he or she understands the action. This is why people find good stories so appealing and why they find advertising that simply conveys information so boring.

I think this is true of a good advertisement. I don't think an ad has to be a lengthy story, but it should unfold well in front of the audience. If an ad has the element of a story line- the viewer will be pulled in to the ad, especially if the ad incorporates humor or wit. Point in case: Jameson's Irish Whiskey Commercial. I particularly remember this ad because of its unfolding story line. It is posted below:



***I am not saying that ALL ads should use story lines, but it is one effective approach to advertising if done well.

And,

10. Does the ad use identifiable music?
- Music can be a rapidly identified cue for the recall of emotional responses remembered from previous advertising. Making the same music an identifiable aspect of all advertising signals the audience to pay attention for more important content.

Not only can music recall emotion in the audience, I think that with today's music tangibility, music is
one way to call attention to a brand in a "hip" way. I think Mac commercials have effectively used music to call attention to their products. Using new and of-the-moment music reflects on the fact that the Mac brand is also of-the-moment. I, myself, have Googled some of their ads to see what the song in the ad was called, and then I downloaded it from, where else, iTunes. The music brought attention to the ad and helped to drive a sale for their brand.



Please take a look at the list and tell me your thoughts. What could be added to the list? What doesn't work?

No comments:

Post a Comment